Maple-Glazed Oatmeal Applesauce Cookies

Monday, May 7, 2012

I do not consider myself a professional photographer but when I hold my Nikon up to my face I instantly feel I could shoot a wedding... The next day I review my wonderful pictures and realize less than 1 of 3 pictures are usable.  So, I have vowed to keep practicing and researching until I understand aperture, shutter speed, etc.  All this being said, I have decided to share with you my recipe for Maple-Glazed Oatmeal Applesauce Cookies!


Unlike the other posts on the blog so far, this will have step-by-step pictures of how to make them!  I'm hoping to make a pattern of mixing the blog posts with recipes so you can make some Pastry Shells items at home!  Here goes the first of many step-by-step recipe posts:


I used my Kitchen Aid mixer with the paddle attachment and my wonderful glass bowl.  The glass bowl was one of the best "attachments" I have bought for the mixer.  I highly recommend it!  Don't forget to preheat your oven to 350!


First, add the granulated sugar, brown sugar and melted butter.


Start the mixer on low until the sugar and butter is combined and resembles a wet sand texture.


Next, measure out the applesauce and crack an egg.  I always crack my egg in a separate bowl because no matter how good you are at cracking eggs it always stinks when you get a piece of eggshell in your batter and have to fish it out.


Once you are confident there are no eggshells and you have licked the spoon you used to get the applesauce out of the jar, put the ingredients in the mixer with the butter and sugar.

A side note:  This recipe works great for all kinds of applesauce (i.e. chunky, cinnamon, etc.) but just used plain Mott's Natural Applesauce.


Mix on low until it looks like...


Once you get this consistency make sure you scrap down the bowl and give it one more pulse of the machine.


Now, we pour in the oatmeal!


Yum!
Add in the flour...


The baking soda...


The baking powder...


And the salt!  If you want to add raisins, craisins, nuts, chocolate, or any other wonderful ingredient now would be the time!


Turn your mixer on low until it is combine then scrap down then bowl. I always do three quick, high-speed spurts of the mixer to make sure everything is incorporated.


Here is my pan all prepped for these yummy cookies.  I use a SilPat for these cookies as they are extremely sticky, but parchment paper would work just as well.

Please ignore the dated stove/oven I have.  I like to think of it as "vintage" or at least that is what I tell myself when I see a kitchen with beautiful, shiny, new appliances.


I use a small ice cream scoop to measure out the cookies.  This allows for the cookies to all have the same amount of dough and cook evenly.


Place two scoop-fulls of dough on top of each other...


And smush it down with the backside of the scoop.  These cookies spread out a fair amount, so be sure to give them ample space.


I have made these cookies with four, yes four, scoops and they were amazing MONSTER cookies!  Everyone was in heaven!

Freezer:  At this point you can divide the remaining dough into two-scoop balls and freeze them on a cookie sheet.  Once they are frozen solid they can be transferred to a bag.  You will then have yummy cookies available for the next month or until they are all eaten!


Presto chango they are now baked!  Don't let the edges get too brown or else the cookies won't be soft and gooey!  These cookies will be very soft when you take them out of the oven so let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes.


Now, it is on to the icing!  Add your favorite maple syrup to a bowl of confectioner's sugar then stir to combine.



Add water until the consistency looks like above.  You want it to run off the whisk/spoon in a thick strand.


After the cookies cooled down, use a non-slotted metal spatula and pick the cookies off the sheet.  Sometimes the cookie will stick to the mat in the middle so I use the spatula to get all the way under the cookie.  Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.



Once they are cooled, start the icing process.  I load the super small whisk up with frosting and swing it back and forth until I get the desired amount of icing on the cookies.



Keep swinging that icing!



 Let the icing set then dig in!  These are amazing cookies!

To order cookies from Pastry Shells contact me at PastryShells@gmail.com.

Recipe: 
Maple-Glazed Oatmeal Applesauce Cookies

4 Tablespoons melted, unsalted butter
1 Cup packed light-brown sugar
1/2 Cup granulated sugar
1 Egg
1/2 Cup applesauce
1 1/2 Cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 1/4 Cups AP flour
1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
1/4 Teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 Cups confectioner's sugar
3 Tablespoons maple syrup

Cookies:
1.  Preheat oven to 350.  Mix together butter and sugars until combined.  Add applesauce and egg, mix until incorporated.  Add oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Mix until combined.

2.  Divide dough onto parchment-lined cookie sheet about 2-3 inches apart.

3.  Bake at 350 for 13 to 15 minutes or just before browning occurs.

4.  Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack.

Icing:
1.  Mix maple syrup and confectioner's sugar together.  Add small amounts of water until desired consistency.

2.  Drizzle evenly among the cookies and let set.


Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart.

No comments :

Post a Comment

.