Surprise Gender Baby Shower Cake

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

My family discovered a wonderful family-owned dry cleaner a while back and has been returning to the small shop for years.  The wonderful Greek family that owns the shop have been so generous to us (and all their customers) over the years and have been altering all my bridesmaid dresses no matter what time constraint I gave them!  My family and I are so grateful to have such a wonderful business so close to our home!  All of this is leads to this adorable cake:
The owners of the dry cleaners were expecting their first grandchild!  I don't know if you are aware, but the Greek community throws wonderful parties and they were so nice to ask me to make the "Grandmothers' Cake" for the baby shower!  The trick... the gender was unknown!


I decided I would make a cake that was simple and elegant, yet something that would "WOW" the grandmothers.

I started by making tons of small flowers out of gum paste in white, blue, purple, pink, and yellow as well as a few carnations in white, pink, and purple.

Then, the day of, I whipped up a vanilla cake with raspberry filling and a batch of cream cheese frosting.  I then collected all of my pedal dusts (basically edible BareMinerals eye shadow) and lightly brushed accent colors onto the flowers; the white carnation suddenly had beautiful yellow tips and the little flowers had contrasting centers.

Carefully I placed the flowers throughout the cake and placed it on a decorated cake round.

All of the party guests were thrilled to see the cake!  They were initially fooled by the carnations and were pleasantly surprised when they discovered all the flowers were edible!  I was so happy to be a part of this baby shower!

If you would like to order a cake from Pastry Shells, contact me at PastryShells@gmail.com.

No comments :

Post a Comment

.