How To Make a Ribbon Rose

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Remember this?
Well, I have made a tutorial on how to make those adorable and edible flowers!  Ready?


To start, here is what you will need:
Fondant in your choice of color (I chose red)
Rolling pin
Fondant mat with grid (optional)
Fondant rolling cutter (optional, use knife otherwise)
Knife
Toothpick
Clean Hands

Take a small amount of fondant (about 1/2 a cup) and roll it out to an 1/8 of an inch thick (my fondant rolling pin has rings with specific thicknesses so I get it right every time).

Take your rolling cutter (or knife) and cut 3/4 to 1 inch thick stripes long ways through the fondant.

I made several so I could make many roses.  Discard the left and right rounded strips (and by "discard" I mean "save for later")

Make a slice horizontally to take the curved top portion off.  Then measure 3 to 4 inches (each square is an inch for me) down and make another horizontal slice.  Three inches will make a smaller rose than the four inch strip, so it is all preference.

See?  I usually like to make a couple three inch and a couple four inch strips so I have variety in my roses when I use them.

Then, again move down 3 to 4 inches from the previous horizontal cut and repeat!

Remove any curves edges and "discard" (see above for the real definition of "discard") them.

Pick a strip, any strip and hold it in your hand like so.

Then start by folding the top third of the strip over itself horizontally.

Repeat all along the strip...

Until all of it has a folded edge...

Now, take the top corner with the folded edge and fold it down to make a little triangle.

Now, the fun part, start rolling the fondant towards the other end...

More...

Almost there...

The end is tricky; well not really... just tuck the edge slightly downward.

To make the bottom pretty and round I squish and twirl the bottom part of the rose to form a round base.  You're almost there!

Twist that extra ugly fondant off the bottom and grab your toothpick.  Don't look at your nails while you do this or you'll stop and paint them before finishing the roses.

Stick the toothpick in the base of the flower.  If it seems lose then dip the toothpick in some water.  Make sure you don't wiggle it or the rose will fall right off!  Place upright in styrofoam or gently lay the rose on its side and let dry (or use right away).

You're done!  You made a ribbon rose!  I'm so proud!

Let me know if you have any questions or need clarification.

To order from Pastry Shells, contact Shelly at shelly@pastryshells.net.

2 comments :

  1. These are so pretty--who knew they were easy to make too?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope the instructions were easy enough to follow!

      Delete

.