Triple Strawberry Pound Cake How To

Monday, March 18, 2013

Welcome strawberries!  I am so excited to share and show you this recipe!  It was such a hit that I had to make sure I gave you all the details.

I have this amazing family that I have known since I was born, literally.  We celebrate most holidays together every year and we have decided we are family!  They gained me and a brother and I gained FOUR sisters!  Dream come true!  So, when my sister, Emily, had a birthday I was set on making her a delicious meal which, of course, came with the dessert of her dreams.

Emily explained she wanted a strawberry pound cake.  When I asked her if she wanted the strawberries inside the cake or outside she went all in... BOTH!

So, I schemed... and came up with a cream cheese pound cake with:

1.  Fresh chopped strawberries mixed into the batter
2.  A simple homemade strawberry glazed swirled in the middle of the cake
3.  That same simple homemade strawberry glaze mixed into the frosting
4.  Fresh strawberries on the side

Okay, so I know the title says "Triple..." and I listed four ways the strawberries are on this dish, but "triple" sounds prettier than "quadruple".

The delicious strawberry pound cake was also accompanied with a wonderful whipped cream rose, more simple homemade strawberry glaze, and more whipped cream!  AMAZING!

And now, you can make it too!  Here we go!

Ingredients:
Your favorite cream cheese pound cake batter (see below for one of my favorites)
4 Cups Strawberries
1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
2 Cups Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
2-4 Tablespoons Water



First, make the simple homemade strawberry glaze (I apologize for the lack of pictures for this process).  Put 2 cups of roughly chopped strawberries in a saucepan with 3 Tablespoons of granulated sugar.  Cook on medium to medium-high heat until it gets bubbly.  Dip a spoon in the pot and grab a small amount, LET IT COOL, then taste to see if more sugar is needed.  I added a little less than a 1/4 of a cup and cooked the sauce on the stove for approximately 15 minutes.  

Make sure to taste it again before you start to let it cool.  You want to make sure all the sugar has dissolved.

Once the liquid has cooled slightly, pour it through a mesh strainer.  I had to stir the sauce within the strainer and push it through.  Once you have your sauce strained cool to room temperature or refrigerate for up to two days.

Now, the cake...


First, make your cream cheese pound cake batter per the instructions.

Then, dice up two cups of strawberries...

...and dump them in the batter.

At this point I gave my mixer three quick spurts of energy then stirred the batter by hand to make sure all the strawberries were evenly distributed.

Grease your pan.  I chose a Bundt pan but truly you could use whatever will fit the pound cake batter.  I just think the cake is prettier with all the grooves.

Spread HALF the batter into the bunt pan.

Now, remember this wonderful sauce you made and cooled?

Drizzle it all of the batter...

Until it looks amazing!

Then top it with the remaining batter.

Now the tricky part... take a knife... stick it in the batter... and SWIRL!

I told you it was really hard!  This is my batter right before I put it in the oven.  Bake per your pound cake instructions.

Let it cool slightly while still in the pan, then flip it out and let it cool completely!  Look at those dots of fresh strawberry!

Now for the icing; Measure 2 cups powdered sugar (it's okay if it isn't exact and if it is in a liquid measure and not a dry measure, this isn't an exact science).

Add in 2 Tablespoons of that AMAZING sauce you so proudly made.  Then run to the sink and add 2 Tablespoons of water.


STIR!


If it looks too thick then add more water.  If it looks too thin then add more powdered sugar.  You should end up with a good pouring consistency.

Now just pour is all over your cake and let it set for at least 30 minutes or until you are ready to serve!

I tried with the plating but I can just simply say that plating is not my forte.

See that swirl?  Oh man!

I stored this cake in an airtight container at room temperature and it was good for a couple days.  I think it would have lasted a couple more days if I had stored it in an airtight container in the fridge.

If you don't want to make this cake yourself, feel free to order one from Pastry Shells by contacting me at shelly@pastryshells.net.


Cream Cheese Pound Cake Recipe
8 oz cream cheese
3 sticks (1 1/2 cups) unsalted butter at room temperature
3 cups granulated sugar
6 eggs (I used large eggs)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
With the paddle attachment on your mixer beat the cream cheese and butter on medium until smooth (about 1 minute).  Add in the granulated sugar and beat on medium-high until it is light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
Turn the mixer to low.
Add eggs one at a time until each one is incorporated in the batter.
Pour in vanilla and mix until combined.
Scrap down the bowl and mix on low until fully combined.
Slowly mix the flour and salt into the batter with the mixer on low.
Scrap down the bowl and continue mixing until fully combined.
Bake in a greased baking pan for 65 minutes (more if inserted knife does not come out clean).
Cool for 10 minutes in the pan then invert and cool completely on wire rack.


No comments :

Post a Comment

.