Star Wars R2D2

Monday, June 10, 2013



Let me take a moment to be real with you, I. Love. Sci-Fi. Movies. along with a lot of other movies but give me a super hero, a new creature, or futuristic machines and I am a happy camper!  Besides growing up wanting to BE Princess Leia I have always enjoyed the Star Wars movies (I can't wait for more to come out, thank you Disney!)!  By far my favorite characters were all the Ewoks, Jabba the Hut (I didn't realize he was mean until recently), and R2D2!

So, when a Star Wars fanatic (and I mean FANATIC) was turning 21 and requested an R2D2 cake I was thrilled!  The only problem... I had less than 24 hours to make it!  Typically for a cake like this I would prefer to have a least a week to plan and prepare, but I was up for the task!

I started by making two rectangular cakes and one round cake.  The first rectangular cake is the main body of R2 (we are on a nickname basis) then I sliced up the second cake to create the "arms" and "feet".  Finally, the round cake was cut in half and used for the head and sculpted slighting for the bottom portion.


All the coloring was hand piped with cream cheese frosting and I'm sure you are wondering about the silver color... That's easy!  I used edible silver spray paint (yes, they have that)!  I cut pieces of parchment paper to cover the white parts of the cake and sprayed away!


I used a few pictures from Google to figure out where and what details to put on R2 and it turns out there are a few versions of the adorable robot (I'm sure Star Wars fans could explain why) so I picked my favorite!

The birthday girl was in love with her cake and was afraid to cut into it, but usually the love for cake overwhelms people when it comes time to eat!

To order a customized cake from Pastry Shells, contact me at Shelly@PastryShells.net.

5 comments :

  1. This is an AWESOME cake! You're such a trooper for being creative with it so last minute, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. R2D2 cake -- where do I sign up?! :)
    This is so creative!

    So what's next; an Ewok cake?! I would love to see that! ;)

    ReplyDelete

.