Dinosaur Cookies

Thursday, August 1, 2013

I posted a picture of these adorable dinosaur sugar cookies on Facebook and immediately I was asked what event I made these for.  I've gotten completely shocked looks when they find out these cookies were for a wedding.  Yes, they were the wedding favors.  Weird?  I think not.  The beautiful couple was married at Fernbank Museum here in Atlanta which is home to many dinosaur skeletons.  These cookies just completed the entire night for the couple!

I thought I would share with you my sugar cookie technique.  First, make a ton of royal icing and color it in the colors of your choice.  Next, divide the icing so you have two containers of each icing.  Keep one at the stiff consistency from the original recipe then add water to the other.  You want to keep adding water slowly until it becomes a spreadable consistency.  I like to keep my on the thick side.

Using the stiff icing pipe the outline of your sugar cookie.

Then, using whatever device (i.e. a squeeze bottle, spoon, plastic bag, etc.) fill in the outline with the spreadable consistency.

Since mine is very thick I usually fill it about this full...

...and usually fill a few at a time once I get the hang of it.

Then, I use a toothpick to push the icing into the corners and rid the cookies of any air bubbles.

See?  Perfectly filled.

If you want to add decoration that is flush with the main color add it now.  Otherwise, wait until the background color dries and add the decorations then.

Here is one design.

Or, if you want to make a swirl, first drawn lines...

...then swirls those lines around with a toothpick.

Here are all the colors and patterns for the TRex,

the stegosaurus,

and the triceratops.

Here is the final result!  Individually packaged dino cookies with adorable tags perfect for a wedding favor!

To order from Pastry Shells, contact me at shelly@PastryShells.net.

2 comments :

  1. And I can vouch for how good tastin those dinosaur cookies were since I was able to eat one or two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy you liked them! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

.